As the founder of The Tennis Advocate, Isaiah believes in promoting tennis news, improvement, and opinions around the world. He lives by the motto “how you do anything is how you do everything” and wants to thank everyone who supports The Tennis Advocate.
If you want to know more about this year’s ATP Tour Finals, make sure to check out this amazing article!
2020 ATP Tour Finals Day 1 Recap
Dominic Thiem would avenge his 2019 Finals loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas, Rafael Nadal would defeat Andrey Rublev in straight sets, and much more at the 2020 ATP Tour Finals.
Make sure to check out the results below and read all the way to the bottom to find out how to keep up with the tournament and stay connected with The Tennis Advocate.
2020 ATP Tour Finals Day 1 Results
Dominic Thiem vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas
The first match of the 2020 ATP Tour Finals would be between the 2019 finalists, Dominic Thiem and Stefanos Tsitsipas. In the first set of their match, each player would serve well, holding their service games to a tiebreak.
In the tiebreak, Thiem would prevail, 7-5, to take the set 7-6 (7-5). But, in the second set, Tsitsipas would respond by getting a break of Thiem’s serve, in the third game, to take the set 6-4 and force a third set.
In the decisive third set, Thiem would come out firing, winning the first three games in a row before taking the set 6-3 to win the match 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-3.
Rafael Nadal vs. Andrey Rublev
In the second, and last, singles match of the day, Rafael Nadal would take on Andrey Rublev. In the opening set of their match, Nadal would only need one break of Rublev’s serve, in the sixth game, to take the set 6-3.
In the second set, Nadal would once again only need one break, this time in the first game, to take the set 6-4 and win the match 6-3, 6-4.
K.Krawietz / A.Mies vs. W.Koolhof / N.Mektic
In the first doubles match of the day, the team of Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies would take on the team of Wesley Koolhof and Nikola Mektic.
In the opening set of their match, each team would manage to break the other’s serve once en route to a tiebreak. In the tiebreak, Krawietz and Mies would prevail, 7-3, to take the set 7-6 (7-3).
But, in the second set, they would each break the other’s serve one time again. In this tiebreak, Koolhof and Mektic would come out on top, 7-4, to take the set 7-6 (7-4) and force a third set tiebreak.
In the decisive third set tiebreak, Koolhof and Mektic would win, 10-7, to take the match 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-4), 10-7.
R.Ram / J.Salisbury vs. L.Kubot / M.Melo
In the second, and last, doubles match of the day, the team of Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury would take on the team of Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo.
In the first set of their match, Ram and Salisbury would get two breaks of their opponents’ serve, in the eighth and twelfth games, to take the set 7-5.
But, in the second set, Kubot and Melo would respond by getting three breaks to take the set 6-3 and force a third set tiebreak.
In the third set tiebreak, Ram and Salisbury would come out on top, 10-5, to win the match 7-5, 3-6, 10-5.
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 200 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!
- Daniil Medvedev Wins 2020 ATP Tour FinalsDaniil Medvedev would defeat Dominic Thiem to win the 2020 ATP Tour Finals. This would mark his first ATP Tour Finals title and the last time the event would be held at the O2 Arena in London.
- 2020 ATP Tour Finals Semifinals Recap: Dominic Thiem Wins 300th Career MatchDominic Thiem would win his 300th career match, Daniil Medvedev would defeat Rafael Nadal, and much more at the 2020 ATP Tour Finals.
- 2020 ATP Tour Finals Day 6 Recap: Djokovic Secures His Place In The SemifinalsNovak Djokovic would defeat Alexander Zverev to secure his place in the semifinals, Medvedev would cruise past Schwartzman, and much more at the 2020 ATP Tour Finals.
- 2020 ATP Tour Finals Day 5 Recap: Andrey Rublev Upsets World No. 3Andrey Rublev would upset Dominic Thiem, Rafael Nadal would prevail over Stefanos Tsitsipas, and much more at the 2020 ATP Tour Finals.
- 2020 ATP Tour Finals Day 4 Recap: Medvedev Dominates DjokovicDaniil Medvedev would dominate Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Diego Schwartzman would play a tight three-setter, and much more at the ATP Tour Finals.