As the founder of The Tennis Advocate, Isaiah believes in promoting tennis news, improvement, and opinions around the world. He lives by the motto “how you do anything is how you do everything” and wants to thank everyone who supports The Tennis Advocate.
If you missed out on any of the previous days of the 2020 St. Petersburg Open, make sure to check out the articles below!
2020 St. Petersburg Open Semifinals Recap
Andrey Rublev and Borna Coric would each have to go the distance to make it to the finals, but they would get it done to reach the 2020 St. Petersburg Open Championship.
Make sure to check out the results below and read all the way to the bottom to find out how to keep up with the tournament and stay connected with The Tennis Advocate.
2020 St. Petersburg Open Semifinals Results
Andrey Rublev (3) vs. Denis Shapovalov (2)
In the first semifinals match of the 2020 St. Petersburg Open, the 21-year-old Denis Shapovalov would face the 22-year-old Andrey Rublev.
In the opening set of their match, Shapovalov would only need one break of Rublev’s serve, in the seventh game, to take the set 6-4.
But, in the second set, Shapovalov would stumble out of the gate a little bit, falling behind 1-4 to Rublev after having his serve broken in the fourth game.
From there, each player would hold their serve and Rublev would take the set 6-3 to force a decisive third set. In the decisive third set, to decide a finalist, Rublev would come up big, getting a break in the fifth game before consolidating it in the next to take a commanding 4-2 lead.
Following this, Andrey Rublev would take the set 6-4 to defeat Denis Shapovalov and win the match 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Borna Coric (7) vs. Milos Raonic (6)
In the second semifinals match, the sixth-seeded Milos Raonic would take on the seventh-seeded Borna Coric for a spot in the finals.
To start the match, Raonic would win five straight games, two at love, before eventually taking the opening set 6-1 to put himself one set away from reaching the finals.
In the second set, Coric would respond by copying Raonic’s set, winning the first five games consecutively before taking the set 6-1 to force a third set.
In the decisive third set, Coric would hold strong, only needing one break of Raonic’s serve, in the fifth game, before eventually taking the set 6-4 to win the match 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.
A.Bublik / R.Opelka vs. M.Demoliner / M.Middelkoop
In the only doubles match of the day, the team of Alexander Bublik and Reilly Opelka would take on the team of Marcelo Demoliner and Matwe Middelkoop.
In the opening set of their match, the team of Demoliner and Middelkoop would only need one break of their opponents’ serve, in the first game, to take the set 6-4.
In the second set, Bublik and Opelka would respond by getting a break of their own to take the set 6-3 and force a third set tiebreak.
In the decisive third set tiebreak, Demoliner and Middelkoop would prevail, 10-6, to win the match 6-4, 3-6, 10-6.
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 200 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 3 Recap: Pospisil Defeats Auger-Aliassime In All-Canadian BattleVasek Pospisil would triumph over fellow Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, Tsitsipas would survive a test from Struff, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 2 Recap: Djokovic & Thiem Win In Straight SetsNovak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem would advance in straight sets, Dimitrov would get the best of Khachanov, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 1 Recap: Rublev Rolls Qualifier, Monfils Retires, & MoreThe fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev would cruise past qualifier Norbert Gombos, Gael Monfils would be forced to retire due to injury, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- Ugo Humbert Claims 2020 European Open ChampionshipUgo Humbert would outperform Alex de Minaur to win the 2020 European Open, John Peers and Michael Venus would claim the doubles championship, and much more at the 2020 European Open.
- Aryna Sabalenka Wins 2020 J&T Banka Ostrava OpenBelarusian Aryna Sabalenka would complete an impressive feat by taking home the singles and doubles championship at the 2020 J&T Banka Ostrava Open.