As the founder of The Tennis Advocate, Isaiah believes in promoting tennis news, improvement, and opinions around the world. He lives by the motto “how you do anything is how you do everything” and wants to thank everyone who supports The Tennis Advocate.
If you want to read more great content on the Hamburg Open, make sure to check out the articles below!
Hamburg Open Rd. of 16 Recap
Casper Ruud would get a solid upset over Fabio Fognini, Stefanos Tsitsipas would move on to the quarterfinals, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
Make sure to check out the results below and read all the way to the bottom to find out how to keep up with the tournament and stay connected with The Tennis Advocate.
Hamburg Open Rd. of 16 Results
Karen Khachanov (8) vs. Dusan Lajovic
In the first match of the day, Serbian Dusan Lajovic would upset the eighth-seeded Russian Karen Khachanov. In the opening set, with the set tied at one, Lajovic would win five straight games to take the set 6-1.
In the second set, Lajovic would break Khachanov’s serve four times to take the set 6-2 and the match 6-1, 6-2.
Pablo Cuevas (q) vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas (2)
Despite a decent contest from qualifier Pablo Cuevas, Stefanos Tsitsipas would get a solid victory today. In the first set of their match, Tsitsipas would only need one break of Cuevas’ serve, in the twelfth game, to take the set 7-5.
In the second set, Tsitsipas would only need one break again, this time in the tenth game, to take the set 6-4 and the match 7-5, 6-4.
Ugo Humbert vs. Jiri Vesely (q)
After defeating the top-seeded Daniil Medvedev earlier in the tournament, Ugo Humbert would play well once again today, this time against qualifier Jiri Vesely.
In the opening set, Humbert would get two breaks of Vesely’s serve to take the set 6-4. In the second set, he would get two more breaks to take the set 6-3 and the match 6-4, 6-3.
Casper Ruud vs. Fabio Fognini (6)
In the last match of the day, rising star Casper Ruud would have his way with the sixth-seeded Fabio Fognini. In the opening set of their match, Ruud would only need one break of Fognini’s serve, in the eighth game, to take the set 6-3.
In the second set, he would win the first four games consecutively before taking the set 6-3 to win the match 6-3, 6-3.
K.Krawietz / A.Mies vs. W.Koolhof / N.Mektic
In the first doubles match of the day, the team of Wesley Koolhof and Nikola Mektic would take care of business against the team of Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies.
In the first set, Koolhof and Mektic would only need one break of their opponents’ serve to take the set 6-3. In the second set, they would get two breaks to take the set 7-5 and the match 6-3, 7-5.
R.Albot / A.Qureshi (q) vs. I.Dodig / M.Pavic
Ivan Dodig and Mate Pavic would defeat the team of Radu Albot and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi with ease today. In the first set, they would only need one break to take the set 6-4.
In the second set, they would get two breaks to take the set 6-2 and the match 6-4, 6-2.
J.Rojer / H.Tecau vs. N.Mahut / F.Martin
The French pairing of Nicolas Mahut and Fabrice Martin would suffer a defeat today to the team of Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau.
In the opening set, they would take a 3-0 lead early and would ride that lead to a 6-3 set victory. In the second set, down 1-4, they would win six out of the next seven games to take the set 7-5 and win the match 6-3, 7-5.
L.Kubot / M.Melo (3) vs. J.Peers / M.Venus
In the last doubles match of the day, the Australian duo of John Peers and Michael Venus would upset the third-seeded team of Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo.
In the opening set, Peers and Venus would break their opponents’ serve three times en route to a 6-1 set victory. In the second set, they would only need to breaks to take the set 6-2 and win the match 6-1, 6-2.
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 200 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 3 Recap: Pospisil Defeats Auger-Aliassime In All-Canadian BattleVasek Pospisil would triumph over fellow Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, Tsitsipas would survive a test from Struff, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 2 Recap: Djokovic & Thiem Win In Straight SetsNovak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem would advance in straight sets, Dimitrov would get the best of Khachanov, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- 2020 Vienna Open Day 1 Recap: Rublev Rolls Qualifier, Monfils Retires, & MoreThe fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev would cruise past qualifier Norbert Gombos, Gael Monfils would be forced to retire due to injury, and much more at the 2020 Vienna Open.
- Ugo Humbert Claims 2020 European Open ChampionshipUgo Humbert would outperform Alex de Minaur to win the 2020 European Open, John Peers and Michael Venus would claim the doubles championship, and much more at the 2020 European Open.
- Aryna Sabalenka Wins 2020 J&T Banka Ostrava OpenBelarusian Aryna Sabalenka would complete an impressive feat by taking home the singles and doubles championship at the 2020 J&T Banka Ostrava Open.