As the founder of The Tennis Advocate, Isaiah believes in promoting tennis news, improvement, and opinions around the world. He lives by the motto “how you do anything is how you do everything” and wants to thank everyone who supports The Tennis Advocate.
If you missed out on any of the previous days of the US Open, or just want to read in-depth content, check out the articles below!
2020 US Open Men’s Singles Semifinals Recap
Alexander Zverev would complete an epic comeback against Pablo Carreno Busta, Dominic Thiem would dominate Daniil Medvedev, and much more at the US Open.
Make sure to check out the results below and read all the way to the bottom to find out how to keep up with the tournament and stay connected with The Tennis Advocate.
2020 US Open Men’s Singles Semifinals Results
Pablo Carreno Busta (20) vs. Alexander Zverev (5)
The twentieth-seeded Pablo Carreno Busta would come out scorching hot against the fifth-seeded Alexander Zverev. After falling behind 0-1 in the opening set, Carreno Busta would win five straight games to take a commanding 5-1 lead.
Despite being broken once following this, Carreno Busta would take the set 6-3. In the second set, he would follow this impressive performance by winning the first five games consecutively.
Carreno Busta would close out the set at 6-2. In the third set, Zverev would answer back by getting two breaks of Carreno Busta’s serve to take the set 6-3 and keep his championship hopes alive.
In the fourth set, Zverev would get two more breaks to take the set 6-4 and force a decisive fifth set. In the fifth set, Zverev would complete his comeback, breaking Carreno Busta’s serve in the first and last game to take the set 6-3.
With this, Alexander Zverev would defeat Pablo Carreno Busta 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 to advance to the 2020 US Open Men’s Singles Championship.
Daniil Medvedev (3) vs. Dominic Thiem (2)
The second-seeded Dominic Thiem and the third-seeded Daniil Medvedev would clash tonight in one of the most highly anticipated matches of the US Open.
After a tight start to the opening set, with the set tied at two, Thiem would win four straight games, two of those being breaks of Medvedev’s serve, to take the set 6-2.
In the second set, Medvedev would immediately respond by by breaking Thiem’s serve and holding his own to take a 2-0 lead. From there, each player would hold their serve until, down 4-5, Thiem would break Medvedev to tie the set at five.
Each player would hold their serve one more time after this en route to a tiebreak. In the tiebreak, after a lot of back-and-forth, Thiem would prevail, 9-7, to take the second set 7-6 (9-7).
In the third set, Daniil Medvedev would snag an early 3-0 lead and would capitalize on that lead by taking a commanding 5-2 lead.
But, Thiem would respond by winning three games in a row and eventually forcing another tiebreak. In this tiebreak, Thiem would prevail, 7-5, to take the set 7-6 (7-5) and the match 6-2, 7-6 (9-7), 7-6 (7-5).
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 200 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!
- Hamburg Open Day 2: Khachanov Outlasts Struff, Hanfmann Upsets Monfils, & MoreKaren Khachanov would outlast a strong Jan-Lennard Struff, Yannick Hanfmann would upset Gael Monfils, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Day 1: Qualifiers DominateQualifiers would have their way in singles and doubles, fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev would move on, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Novak Djokovic Wins Record 36th Masters 1000 Trophy, 2020 Italian Open ChampionshipNovak Djokovic would defeat Diego Schwartzman in a tight contest to win the 2020 Italian Open Men’s Singles Championship.
- Simona Halep Wins 2020 Italian OpenSimona Halep, due to an impressive performance and an injured opponent, would win the 2020 Italian Open Women’s Singles Championship.
- WTA Italian Open Semifinals: No. 1 & No. 2 Into FinalsSimona Halep and Karolina Pliskova would secure a final between the top-two tournament players, the top-seeded doubles team would dominate, and much more at the Italian Open.