THIEMS7 Day 1 Recap
Day 1 of THIEMS7 Tennis Tournament started off with an amazing three-set match, had some great play from Dominic Thiem, and ended with two well-played matches.
Make sure to check out the results below & read to the bottom to find out how you can keep up with the tournament live.
THIEMS7 Day 1 Results
Andrey Rublev vs. Jan-Lennard Struff
The first match of THIEMS7 Tennis Tournament was an absolute stunner, and if it was any sign of things to come, it’s going to be a great tournament.
In the first set of Andrey Rublev’s match against Jan-Lennard Struff, Struff broke Rublev’s serve twice and dropped only one game on his serve to secure a 6-3 set victory.
In the second set, both players would steadily hold their serves until the tenth game when Rublev would break Struff’s serve to take the set 6-4 and tie the match at one set apiece.
In the third set tiebreak, both players would go back-and-forth until eventually, Rublev would string together three straight point wins to take the tiebreak 15-13. With this, he would win the match 3-6, 6-4, 15-13.
Dominic Thiem vs. Casper Ruud
In his first match of his own tournament, Dominic Thiem looked good against Casper Ruud. In the first set of their match, Thiem would break Ruud in the eleventh game, in an otherwise serve heavy set, to take the set 7-5.
In the second set, Ruud got up 4-1 early, but Thiem would battle his way back to 4-all with three straight game wins. From there, each player would hold their serve to force a tiebreak.
In the tiebreak, Thiem would win 7-4 to win the match 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
Matteo Berrettini vs. Dennis Novak
The first set of Matteo Berrettini’s match against Dennis Novak was a tight one. Each player broke the others’ serve once on their way to a tiebreak that Berrettini would win 8-6 to take the set 7-6 (8-6).
In the second set, Berrettini would have his way with Novak, breaking him in the second game and eventually defeating him 6-3. With this, Berrettini would win the match 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.
Karen Khachanov vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
In the last match of the day, Karen Khachanov and Roberto Bautista Agut went shot-for-shot in the first set. Eventually, Bautista Agut would break Khachanov in the tenth game of the set to take the set 6-4.
In the second set, Bautista Agut got an early break on Khachanov and would go up 3-0 in no time. And, although Khachanov battled all the way through, Bautista Agut would win the set 6-3 and the match 6-4, 6-3.
Here’s a fun little clip of the players before the tournament:
To find out more about the tournament, make sure to check out their official website!
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 200 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!
- WTA Italian Open Semifinals: No. 1 & No. 2 Into FinalsSimona Halep and Karolina Pliskova would secure a final between the top-two tournament players, the top-seeded doubles team would dominate, and much more at the Italian Open.
- Novak Djokovic & Diego Schwartzman To Battle For 2020 Italian Open TitleNovak Djokovic and Diego Schwartzman would battle past tough opponents, the doubles championship would go the distance, and much more at the Italian Open.
- WTA Italian Open Quarterfinals: Pliskova Continues Title DefenseKarolina Pliskova would continue her title defense, Marketa Vondrousova would upset Elina Svitolina, and much more at the Italian Open.
- ATP Italian Open Quarterfinals: Schwartzman Upsets NadalDiego Schwartzman upsets Rafael Nadal to reach the semifinals, Denis Shapovalov gets his 100th tour-level win, and much more at the Italian Open.
- WTA Italian Open Rd. of 16: Putintseva Upsets Rybakina, Halep Into Quarterfinals, & MoreYulia Putintseva would upset the tenth-seeded Elena Rybakina, Simona Halep would move on to the quarterfinals, and much more at the Italian Open.