If you missed out on the Day 1 Recap, make sure to check out the article below and then come back and read this one!
Here are the standings heading into Day 2 of the Ultimate Tennis Showdown:
UTS Day 2 Recap
Day 2 of the Ultimate Tennis Showdown had some great matches and several players improved their rankings while others wished their day had gone better.
Check out the results below to read about all five Day 2 matches.
UTS Day 2 Results
Lucas Pouille vs. Elliot Benchetrit
Although both Lucas Pouille and Elliot Benchetrit suffered a loss yesterday, one would leave with a win today, and both wanted to be that person.
In the first quarter of their match, Benchetrit showed his will to win by defeating Pouille 16-11 to take a 1-0 lead. In the second quarter, Pouille answered back with a 14-11 victor to tie the match at one quarter apiece.
In the third quarter, Pouille once again defeated Benchetrit, 14-12, to give himself a one quarter lead heading into the fourth quarter. But, Benchetrit wasn’t going to just roll over and die. He would win the fourth quarter, 13-10, to send the match to a sudden death fifth quarter.
In the fifth quarter, Frenchman Elliot Benchetrit would defeat his fellow countryman to win the match 16-11, 11-14, 12-14, 15-10, 3-1.
Dustin Brown vs. Benoit Paire
Coming into Day 2, Dustin Brown and Benoit Paire were both at the bottom of the standings, but neither was giving up yet.
In the first quarter of their match, Dustin Brown defeated Benoit Paire 19-18 in the first of many tightly contested quarters. In the second quarter, Benoit Paire answered back by winning 17-14 and tying the match at 1-all.
In the third quarter, Benoit Paire put the pressure on Dustin Brown by winning it 18-15 and forcing Brown to win the fourth quarter if he wanted to keep his chances of winning alive.
But, Paire was too much for Brown in the fourth quarter and ousted him 21-12 to win the match 18-19, 17-14, 18-15, 21-12.
David Goffin vs. Matteo Berrettini
In the first quarter of their match, David Goffin and Matteo Berrettini played a tight one, but Berrettini came out on top 13-12. In the second quarter, Berrettini was a little more dominant and won 20-8.
In the third quarter, Berrettini captured the victory by winning 18-9. For ranking reasons, the fourth quarter was played and Goffin won 12-11. This would give Berrettini the victory 13-12, 20-8, 18-9, 11-12.
Feliciano Lopez vs. Alexei Popyrin
In a match between two Day 1 winners, Feliciano Lopez and Alexei Popyrin both looked good. In the first quarter, Popyrin barely got the best of Lopez and won the quarter 13-11 to take a 1-0 lead.
In the second quarter, Lopez fought back and won 17-14 to tie the match at one quarter apiece. In the third quarter, Popyrin came back to life and won the quarter 14-13.
In the fourth, and final, quarter, Alexei Popyrin won his third quarter of the match to secure his victory against Lopez 13-11, 14-17, 14-13, 15-12.
Stefanos Tsitsipas vs. Richard Gasquet
In the most anticipated match of the night, Stefanos Tsitsipas gained a quick 1-0 lead over Richard Gasquet by taking the first quarter 17-12.
In the second quarter, the Virtuoso stopped the Greek God from take a commanding lead by winning the quarter 15-14. In the third quarter, Tsitsipas gained a 2-1 set lead over Gasquet by winning 15-12 and put Gasquet’s back to the wall for the fourth quarter.
In the fourth quarter, Gasquet kept himself in the match by winning 15-13. In the sudden death fifth quarter, Tsitsipas came out on top to win the match 17-12, 14-15, 15-12, 13-15, 5-3.
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 170 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you). Thanks for your support in this way!Serena Williams Teaches Tennis – $180.00
- Hamburg Open Rd. of 16: Ruud Upsets Fognini, Tsitsipas Moves On, & MoreCasper Ruud would get a solid upset over Fabio Fognini, Stefanos Tsitsipas would move on to the quarterfinals, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Rd. of 16: Lucky Loser Bublik Defeats Auger-AliassimeLucky loser Alexander Bublik would upset Felix Auger-Aliassime, Tsitsipas would move on, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Day 2: Khachanov Outlasts Struff, Hanfmann Upsets Monfils, & MoreKaren Khachanov would outlast a strong Jan-Lennard Struff, Yannick Hanfmann would upset Gael Monfils, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Day 1: Qualifiers DominateQualifiers would have their way in singles and doubles, fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev would move on, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Novak Djokovic Wins Record 36th Masters 1000 Trophy, 2020 Italian Open ChampionshipNovak Djokovic would defeat Diego Schwartzman in a tight contest to win the 2020 Italian Open Men’s Singles Championship.