UTS Day 1 Recap
Although we had to wait an extra day due to rain, the Ultimate Tennis Showdown was beyond worth the wait for tennis from around the world.
Despite being hard to come to terms with, the Ultimate Tennis Showdown did prove to be an exciting new form of tennis that more exhibition tournaments should adapt.
UTS Day 1 Results
Elliot Benchetrit vs. Alexei Popyrin
Although the format was new to everyone, both Alexei Popyrin and Elliot Benchetrit looked sharp and like they enjoyed their first UTS match.
In the first quarter of the match, yes you read that right, Alexei Popyrin defeated Benchetrit 13-9 and took a quick lead. In the second quarter, however, Benchetrit fought back and tied the match up at one quarter apiece by winning 12-9.
In the third quarter, Popyrin won 15-12 to go up two quarters to one and put Benchetrit on the ropes for the fourth quarter. In the fourth quarter, Popyrin closed the match up with a 14-12 quarter win. He won the match 13-9, 9-12, 15-12, 14-12.
Dustin Brown vs. Matteo Berrettini
In the second match of the day, we saw the Italian Matteo Berrettini take on the veteran Dustin Brown. Berrettini would jump out to a quick 1-0 lead after taking the first quarter 14-10.
In the second quarter, experience proved more important than skill as Brown fought back and won the tightly contested quarter 13-12. But, in the third quarter, Berrettini crushed any hopes that Brown gained in the second quarter by defeating him 22-5.
In the last quarter, Berrettini closed the match off with a close 13-12 victory. Berrettini won the match 14-10, 12-13, 22-5, 13-12.
Feliciano Lopez vs. Lucas Pouille
In the first quarter of their match, Feliciano Lopez came ready to play, taking the quarter 17-13. In the second quarter, he took an even bigger lead after securing the tight set 13-12.
But, in the third quarter, the Frenchman won 13-9 to force Lopez to take the fourth quarter seriously. In the fourth quarter, Pouille won 12-11 to take the match to a sudden death fifth set. In the fifth set, the winner is the first person to win two points in a row.
It would be Feliciano Lopez winning the match 17-13, 13-12, 9-13, 11-12, 2-0.
Richard Gasquet vs. David Goffin
Although Goffin may currently have the higher ranking, Richard Gasquet proved that he can still play with the best of them. In their first quarter, Gasquet defeated Goffin 13-11 to take a quick quarter lead.
In the second quarter, Goffin answered with a 14-12 quarter win to tie the match up at one quarter apiece. In the third quarter, Gasquet fought back and won another close quarter 12-11.
In the fourth quarter, Goffin tied the match at 2 quarters apiece by winning 15-10. This took the match to a sudden death fifth quarter in which the first person to win two consecutive games wins the match.
In the fifth quarter, Richard Gasquet defeated David Goffin to win the match 13-11, 12-14, 12-11, 10-15, 2-0.
Stefanos Tsitsipas vs. Benoit Paire
The Greek God was too much for the Frenchman, Benoit Paire, in the first two quarters of their match. In the first quarter, Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Paire soundly, 24-4.
In the second quarter, Tsitsipas continued his fast start by defeating Paire 22-6. This gave Tsitsipas a comfortable two quarter lead over Paire heading into the third quarter.
In the third quarter, Paire put the pressure on Tsitsipas by winning the quarter 14-13 and keeping is chances of winning alive.
But, in the fourth quarter, Tsitsipas finished the match off by defeating Benoit Paire 15-9 to win the match 24-4, 22-6, 13-14, 15-9.
If you’d like more information on the tournament make sure to check out their official website.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Join over 160 people who receive post notifications & weekly tennis updates.
- Hamburg Open Rd. of 16: Ruud Upsets Fognini, Tsitsipas Moves On, & MoreCasper Ruud would get a solid upset over Fabio Fognini, Stefanos Tsitsipas would move on to the quarterfinals, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Rd. of 16: Lucky Loser Bublik Defeats Auger-AliassimeLucky loser Alexander Bublik would upset Felix Auger-Aliassime, Tsitsipas would move on, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Day 2: Khachanov Outlasts Struff, Hanfmann Upsets Monfils, & MoreKaren Khachanov would outlast a strong Jan-Lennard Struff, Yannick Hanfmann would upset Gael Monfils, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Hamburg Open Day 1: Qualifiers DominateQualifiers would have their way in singles and doubles, fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev would move on, and much more at the Hamburg Open.
- Novak Djokovic Wins Record 36th Masters 1000 Trophy, 2020 Italian Open ChampionshipNovak Djokovic would defeat Diego Schwartzman in a tight contest to win the 2020 Italian Open Men’s Singles Championship.